Friday, December 30, 2011

The Battle of the Bulge

Since it's the end of the old year, and most of us have probably over-indulged our appetites and feel a bit packed into our pants, I thought a post on eating would cause us all to cringe, I mean, REJOICE!

A little over two years ago, I found myself the heaviest I'd ever been (except for my two pregnancies). I joined Weight Watchers and lost about 20 pounds after 6 months or so. Since then, I have gained about 10 back, bringing me to my current conclusion: weight control is a lifetime project! As a hedonist, I'll always be tempted to overindulge and/or under-exercise. Truthfully, however, I like to exercise, and I know not everyone does. I like the feeling of working my muscles and making sure they are in good enough shape to keep me able to do the physical things I love to do: volleyball, hiking, biking, hunting, fly fishing, skiing, pontooning, etc. An added bonus of my daily exercise is that I KNOW my metabolism is better than most women my age or even that of some younger women. While I was in Weight Watchers, I actually had to add calories to my daily quota, simply because I found myself too hungry and lacking energy if I didn't, and I still lost the one to two recommended pounds per week, and I'm positive it came from my exercise habits. So prepare to hear me harp on exercise! I have heard it said that if there were a magic health pill, it would be called "exercise," and I totally believe it.

My favorite health bible, "Younger Next Year" by Chris Crowley and Henry Lodge, completely reiterates the magic effects of exercise over and over again. Crowley is 70-something, but has an internal age of 40-something. His exercise regime allows him to bike long distances competitively, and though he watches what he eats, he himself admits to hedonism and sometimes giving into the temptation to overindulge. The book lists seven "Harry's rules"; here I'm just going to list four, as the remaining rules have nothing to do with weight: 1. Exercise 6 days a week. 2. Do aerobic exercise 4 days a week. 3. Do strength training 2 days a week. 4. Quit eating crap. I'm pretty good about the first three, but I like crap, so I have modified rule 4 to say, "Eat crap in moderation." Which brings me to my second point (my first is EXERCISE, even if you hate it! It's necessary, period.): it's all about controlling portion size. I have friends who think they are controlling their portions, but I take one look at their helpings and nearly pass out with astonishment, and then they take seconds! That is NOT portion control! I believe in small helpings and very rarely take seconds. I have learned to leave food on my plate and throw it away. My health is more important that guilt trips learned as a child about starving children in Africa.

 So my first two points are practical and easily done, but the monkey wrench here involves Emotional Eating. Sometimes referred to as mindless eating or eating comfort foods. What about that? Those who never emotionally eat can't relate, but as a food rewarder, I understand emotional eating. It doesn't have me tightly in it's grip, but I do emotionally eat, especially when bored or feel I need a reward for hard/menial labor. What about that? To risk sounding overly simplistic and callus, DON'T emotionally eat. Do whatever it takes not to. Remove tempting food, get a new hobby, go for a walk, read a book, do a craft, take a hot bath, pray, eat only raw veggies for emotional eating, stay away from t.v. commercials, get a accountability buddy...brainstorm other alternatives.

So Peggy's rules are these: 1. Exercise 6 days a week-alternating aerobic and weight-bearing, no excuses. I walk three plus miles every other day, and do exercise videos in between walking days: 30-45 minutes a day-I'm too cheap to pay for a gym membership. 2. Keep portions small, and stop eating when full. 3. Don't buy much junk. 4. Have several books/hobbies going at all times, so they're easy to jump into, 5. Remember that food is meant to be enjoyed, so don't be a food Nazi-eat crap in moderation. And 6. Settle for less than perfect (I'm 50 and allow myself 10 extra pounds...no biggie), but don't let 10 pounds become 20, 30, etc. The more you exercise, the more you'll like it, trust me.
 "Exercise and temperance can preserve something of our early strength even in old age." Cicero (106 BC-43 BC) Roman orator and statesman. So we know what to do-exercise often, and eat in moderation. 'Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment